Windows 10 is most optimized OS from all Windows versions and uses somehow less RAM and CPU if we compare with Windows 7. If we compare between x64 or 64 bit architecture and x86 or 32 bit architecture OS, Always x64 is more secure then x86. And in Windows 10, x64 is more secure and reliable then 32 bit OS.
But In other hand x86 or 32 bit architecture OS uses less amount of RAM and Processor. If you computer or laptop having less amount of RAM and you don’t want to upgrade the hardware. You should always use x86 32bit OS. It will run smooth with less CPU processor and RAM. 32 bit OS also very good for Virtual Machine (VM), If you want to use Hyper-V (Wndows 10 Pro feature) or VMware or Virtualbox then 32 bit OS will recommended for you.
RAM Uses between 64bit and 32bit Windows 10 :
- Windows 10 Pro x64 (64 bit) uses 1.1GB minimum all time. And If I try to open Microsoft EDGE browser it uses extra 400mb RAM, Google Chrome uses 300mb RAM, Firefox takes around 350mb RAM, Microsoft Office uses 200mb RAM.
- Windows 10 Pro x86 (32 bit) uses 0.9GB minimum all time. And If I try to open Microsoft EDGE browser it uses extra 300mb RAM, Google Chrome uses 200mb RAM, Firefox takes around 250mb RAM, Microsoft Office uses 150mb RAM.
Which Windows 10 architecture should I choose :
It may depends on your System hardware configuration. If your system having more then quad core CPU (minimum 2ghz) with more then 3gb RAM, you must use x64 architecture to utilize you system hardware. x86/32 bit architecture have many limitation and can’t utilize your system if you have more then 3gb RAM. I personally suggest you to use x64 bit architecture with modern System hardware.
When Uses x86 / 32 bit OS:
- x86 32 bit OS is very good for old system hardware with lower CPU and RAM. If you are still using DDR2 RAM / 2gb or less RAM, you must install 32 bit OS.
- If your CPU is not x64 based Processor, many of old hardware only support x86 / 32 bit OS.
- If you want to install inside VM guest on Hyper-V, VMware or Virtualbox.
As we know Microsoft minimum requirement for x64 OS is only 2gb RAM but we also have to use other 3rd party softwares on it. So your system will very slow and you can’t use your computer properly.
When Uses x64 / 64 bit OS:
- x64 bit OS is very good for modern system hardware with higher CPU and RAM. If you are 3gb or more RAM in your computer, you must install 64 bit OS to utilize full computer hardware.
- If you want secure computing then x64 is recommended, because it increase security level too.
If you have older windows OS, like Windows 8 or Windows 7 then you must follow same rule. Because all these windows use approximately same amount of RAM and CPU. But if you are one who still using Windows XP, you can install x64 with 1gb RAM too.